definitions, inspirations:

dB: decibel, a widely used measure of sound pressure levels

Ps. 98: make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth; make a LOUD noise

AC/DC: let there be rock!

September 22, 2010

An Old Dog

So I've got this copy of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Rock Guitar by David Hodge, and I'm thinking "yeah, I'm an idiot." 

I already play guitar (and bass) in a church band, but it's mostly strumming and light finger picking, or some ambient electric guitar.  But I want to rock!   Thus, the book and this blog to keep me accountable.  Maybe I'm not quite the beginner for whom the book is intended, but I still consider myself a novice or possibly an "advanced beginner" when it comes to rock guitar. 

I'm looking forward to learning from the book, and sharing a few things I pick up along the way.  I'm hoping to post once a week, touching on some concepts in each chapter but obviously not giving away any of the secrets therein.

By the way, in case you are wondering, this is NOT the type of site you often see touting how great a particular book or DVD is for learning guitar practically overnight, and then it turns out the site was set up by a marketing affiliate of the author or publisher.  I am not in any way affiliated with author David Hodge, or any publishing company, or even the Guitar Noise web forum where David hangs out (though I am a forum member there as well.)  

I'm just an old dog trying to learn some new tricks!